M.A., 2017, University of Missouri
B.A., 2015, Western New England University
Gender and Sexuality
Culture and Identity
Youth and Families
Sociology of Gender
Introduction of Women’s and Gender Studies
LGBTQ Youth Studies
Awards and Honors:
2020 Catalyst Award Winner. LGBTQ Resource Center, University of Missouri
2019 Inclusive Excellence and Engagement Award. Office of Extension and Engagement, University of
2019 Mary Elizabeth Gutermuth Award for Community Engagement. Graduate School, University of
2015-2019 G. Ellsworth Huggins Fellowship. Graduate School, University of Missouri
Mel Constantine Miseo (they/them pronouns) is currently a PhD Candidate in the Department of Sociology at the University of Missouri. Their dissertation research focuses on relationships between parents and transgender youth. Mel is examining parental reactions and feelings when a child first comes out as trans and what these affective experiences tell us about gender systems within the family. Mel is also involved in community organizing surrounding support for LGBTQ youth in Mid-Missouri.
- 2020 “Examining the Role of Trans History and Colonization in Present-Day Understandings of Trans Youth”. Sociologists for Women in Society.
- 2020 “Ungendering Allyship and Cisnormativity”. State of Inclusivity Conference hosted by the Inclusive Impact Institute.
- 2020 Summit to Improve Transgender Collaborative Healthcare hosted by MU School of Medicine
- 2018 “Death and Dying of the Imagined Cisgender Child: Parental Reactions to the Coming Out of Transgender and Non-Binary Youth”. Midwest Sociological Society Annual Meeting.
- 1018 “Re-Conceptualizing Categories of Womanhood: A Trans* Rhizomatic Approach to the Centering of Black Transgender Women in Feminist Theory”. Women’s and Gender Studies Graduate Student Conference
- 2017 “Parenting of Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth: Stories of Transition”. Midwest Sociological Society Annual Meeting.
- 2016 “Cisgendering of the Social World; Symbolic Erasure of Transgender Lives and Experiences”. Midwest Sociological Society Annual Meeting.
- 2015 “’I’m Not Like Them”: Transgender Identity Construction and Stigma Management”. Eastern Sociological Society Annual Meeting.